Table of Contents
Genesis’ flagship luxury SUV has received some tweaks for the 2023 model year, both inside and under the skin.
The 2023 Genesis GV80 is on sale now.
The BMW X5 rival receives a new raised control dial for the infotainment system, replacing the old concave one. It retains a handwriting recognition function.
That means there’s now a raised rotary dial for both the infotainment and the transmission, so keep your wits about you.
All six-cylinder GV80s also receive a revised locally tuned Electronic Control Suspension, with engineers working to improve refinement and comfort.
“The aim of the software changes was to better manage body control movements across certain road speeds,” said Genesis Australia product development manager Tim Rodgers.
“The revisions don’t change the character of GV80, but in terms of body motion the SUV now feels a bit more tied down.
“The software revisions were applied to both normal and sport modes and bring improved wheel control as well as body control, while maintaining a premium feel overall,” he said.
Six-cylinder variants also receive what Genesis calls a minor steering hardware change.
Other tweaks include restyled, colour-coded rear brake callipers with the Genesis wordmark.
In a market where significant price increases have become the norm, the GV80’s modest $200 price increase is more palatable, though this does follow increases of between $1024 and $1524 earlier this year.
- 2023 Genesis GV80 2.5T RWD: $92,200 (+$200)
- 2023 Genesis GV80 2.5T AWD: $97,200 (+$200)
- 2023 Genesis GV80 3.0D AWD: $105,200 (+$200)
- 2023 Genesis GV80 3.5T AWD: $109,700 (+$200)
All prices exclude on-road costs.
The 2023 Genesis GV80 is available with three engines. The base engine is a turbocharged 2.5-litre four-cylinder producing 224kW of power and 422Nm of torque, with either rear- or all-wheel drive.
There’s also a 3.0-litre turbo-diesel inline six producing 204kW of power and 588Nm and a turbocharged 3.5-litre petrol V6 producing 279kW of power and 530Nm of torque, both of which are available only with all-wheel drive.
An eight-speed automatic transmission is standard with all three engines.
Genesis quotes 0-100km/h times of 6.9 seconds for models with the 2.5-litre, 6.8 seconds for the 3.0D and 5.5 seconds for the 3.5T.
Braked towing capacity is 2722kg.
The 2023 Genesis GV80 consumes 9.8L/100km on the combined cycle in the 2.5T RWD, 10.4L/100km in the 2.5T AWD, 8.8L/100km in the 3.0D and 11.7L/100km in the 3.5T.
The GV80 has an 80L fuel tank.
The 2023 Genesis GV80 measures 4945mm long, 1715mm tall and 1975mm wide excluding the exterior mirrors, with a 2955mm wheelbase.
Total luggage space is 727L, expanding to 2144L with the rear seats folded. Only the five-seat 2.5T has a space-saver spare, with other models only including a tyre repair kit.
The 2023 Genesis GV80 has complimentary scheduled servicing for the first five years or 50,000km (75,000km for the diesel). This is in addition to the company’s five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
Genesis buyers also receive 10 years of free 24/7 roadside assistance. There’s also a valet service, where an employee will come pick up your vehicle for servicing and leave you with another Genesis provided you live within 70km driving distance of a Genesis Studio.
The Genesis GV80 has a five-star rating from ANCAP based on testing conducted in 2021. It scored 91 per cent for adult occupant protection, 88 per cent for child occupant protection, 66 per cent for vulnerable road user protection and 79 per cent for safety assist.
All models come standard with the Genesis Active Safety Control suite, which includes autonomous emergency braking with forward-collision warning, pedestrian and cyclist detection, a junction turning and crossing function, and evasive steering assist.
Other safety features include:
- Blind-spot assist
- Blind-Spot View Monitor
- Driver attention warning
- Lane-following assist
- Lane-keep assist
- Rear cross-traffic assist
- Safe exit assist
There are also 10 airbags, including a front centre side airbag. Models equipped with the Luxury Package add reverse parking collision avoidance.
The GV80 2.5T comes standard with the following features:
- 14.5-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- Satellite navigation with augmented reality
- DAB+ digital radio
- 12.0-inch head-up display
- 12-way power front seats with four-way adjustable lumbar
- Heated and ventilated front seats
- 21-speaker Harman 1050W Lexicon premium sound system
- Adjustable ambient lighting
- Qi wireless phone charging
- 20-inch alloy wheels
- Power tailgate
- Adaptive high beam
- 360-degree camera with a 3D surround view function
- Adaptive cruise control with Stop&Go
- Panoramic sunroof
- Leather upholstery
- Leather dash, console and door trim
- Open-pore real wood trim
- Dual-zone climate control
- LED headlights
- Keyless entry and start
- 40:20:40 split-fold sliding and reclining rear seat
- Power tilt and telescoping steering wheel
The 2.5T AWD gains a third row of seats.
The 3.0D AWD and 3.5T AWD add:
- 22-inch alloy wheels
- Adaptive suspension
The $10,500 Luxury Package, available on all models, adds:
- Reverse parking collision avoidance
- Smart Parking Assist
- Remote Smart Parking Assist
- Nappa quilted leather upholstery
- Suede headliner
- LED matrix headlights
- 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster
- Active noise control
- Remote parking assist
- Tri-zone climate control
- Soft-close doors
- 18-way power front seats with massaging
- Heated steering wheel
- Heated and ventilated second-row seats
- Power-adjustable second-row seats
- Power-adjustable third-row seats (AWD models only)
The $13,500 6-seat Luxury Package includes all of the above, plus:
- Second-row bucket seats
- Dual 9.2-inch second-row touchscreens
- Dual 3.5mm headphone jacks and USB video/audio input
- Rear wireless phone charger
- Fixed second-row console with controls and storage
Matte paint is a $2000 option.
The following gloss finishes are available:
- Uyuni White
- Savile Silver
- Himalayan Grey
- Vik Black
- Cardiff Green
- Adriatic Blue
- Barossa Burgundy
The matte finishes comprise:
- Matterhorn White
- Melbourne Grey
- Brunswick Green
There are five interior colourways available, each with a choice of open pore wood trims:
- Obsidian Black, with Black Ash or Metallic Ash
- Vanilla Beige, with Black Ash or Metallic Ash
- Urban Brown, with Olive Ash or Birch
- Dune Beige, with Black Ash or Olive Ash
- Smoky Green, with Black Ash or Olive Ash
MORE: Everything Genesis GV80