If I have been to convey to you about an actor that has labored continuously in main Hollywood films for more than two many years, has labored usually with Academy-Award winning writers, actors and administrators and who has a legion of fans that comply with him in all his motion pictures no subject the style or tale, what would your speedy response to this man or woman be? Would you feel “Wow, this dude ought to be great. 20 many years of studio motion pictures, he ought to be proficient.” Based solely on the description of the actor penned previously mentioned, with no names hooked up, would you ever in your ideal thoughts assume that the person was negative at his craft that he sucked. Probabilities are you wouldn’t. And nonetheless, if following offering you that description I instructed you the actor was Keanu Reeves, I bet I know what your response would be. “He sucks!”
I just do not get it. In each and every interview he offers he comes across as an insightful, cerebral, well-rounded human being who does not mire himself in the vagaries of stardom and by no means asks for more than he wants. His co-stars glow about him, and excellent administrators line up to put him in their videos. And nevertheless, for some inexplicable reason, he is plagued by this notion that he is dumb. And that he is untalented. And I just will not get it.
How can he suck if he’s nonetheless building huge movies 20 a long time into his profession? The greater part of his early friends are gone and overlooked actors like Christian Slater, Judd Nelson, Emilio Estevez, Andrew McCarthy, et al, and but below he is coming out with a huge new movie this Friday (The Lake Property). He has survived vital drubbings more intense than he deserves. He has been heckled and flamed and deplored since he has great seems to be, but a vacant affectation. He is perceived as a flat actor, devoid of charisma, empty of emotional depth. And nonetheless, he’s however here making huge flicks. So you clarify it to me.
I have been a fan of Keanu given that his Invoice & Ted days. I have defended my adore for the person who would be Neo to every 1 of my friends and spouse and children. I have gotten into screaming matches with people today I scarcely know, just due to the fact I heard them bash the person. And I have under no circumstances dropped an argument about him, simply because no a person can confirm that he is just not a gifted, proficient performer. They eliminate, because I can confirm that he is.
But my arguing stops now. The moment and for all I am likely to show to the world that Keanu Reeves does NOT suck. And I will prove it to you in 40 issue record format. I assure you that when you complete reading through this piece you will respect, admire and appreciate the talent that is Keanu Reeves.
Enable the proving commence…
1. If you weren’t impressed by Keanu’s imply, Southern Redneck in The Gift or at minimum concur he was impressively powerful, very well then we have nothing at all to talk about. Just click on the “X” and leave this web-site right away.
2. Contrary to well-known perception, has by no means received a Razzie Award. Which is additional than I can say for these actors: Halle Berry, Charlton Heston, John Travolta, Bruce Willis, Kevin Costner, Demi Moore, Marlon Brando, Dennis Hopper, Sylvester Stallone, Sharon Stone, Faye Dunaway, Woody Harrelson and Madonna
3. With out currently being asked, gave $38 Million pounds to The Wachowski Brothers so that they could thoroughly finish the Matrix sequels. $38 Million! Let us see Tom Cruise drop that a lot for one particular of his clunkers.
4. Has worked with the adhering to critically acclaimed directors: Francis Ford Coppola, Ron Howard, Bernardo Bertolucci, Gus Van Sant, Sam Raimi, Taylor Hackford, Lawrence Kasdan, Stephen Frears, Richard Linklater
6. Keanu’s name signifies “neat breeze above the mountains” in Hawaiian, which is really cool. Assess that to Jean Claude Van Damme, which is loosely translated in German as “big douchebag”.
7. The night time in advance of he was to shoot his kissing-large appreciate scene for A Wander in the Clouds, Keanu took a hockey puck to his mouth, which demanded 6 stitches. He however confirmed up the next day for perform and shot the scene about the class of 6 hrs. Let us see a pussyboy like Orlando Bloom do that! Keanu is hardcore.
8. Exhibiting extraordinary foresight and excellent judgment (which is more than I can say for Sandra Bullock), handed on an straightforward $10 million payday to star in Pace 2, simply because he didn’t imagine the script was any good. And he was proper. Convey to me yet again why people think he is stupid?
9. Deferred component of his salary on The Replacements (2000) so Gene Hackman could be cast. Naturally, the man knows what will make a movie excellent. And that would be the Hack Male.
10. Has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. They never just give all those out, you know.
11. A personalized quotation: “I am a meathead, male. You’ve bought smart persons, and you’ve acquired dumb individuals. I just come about to be dumb.” At least the man is courageous plenty of to acknowledge who he is.
12. Is not approximately as stiff, wood or silly as Paul Walker.
13. Has starred in six $100 Million grossing films. Which is far more than the adhering to actors who numerous assert are “greater” than Keanu: Johnny Depp, George Clooney, Russell Crowe, Leonardo DiCaprio, Colin Farrell, Richard Gere, Hugh Grant, Ethan Hawke, Val Kilmer, Jude Legislation, Matthew McConaughey, Sean Penn, Joaquin Phoenix, Tim Robbins, Kevin Spacey, Vince Vaughn, Dennis Quiad and Al freakin’ Pacino!
14. Just about hardly ever displays up in tabloids, an exceptionally welcome good quality taking into consideration the glut of media whores we have these days (ahem, TomKat!).
15. Yeah it gave persons the perception he is an idiot, and no, it’s not Shakespeare, but c’mon, who would not love Monthly bill & Ted’s Exceptional Adventure!
16. “I am an F-B-I Agent!” That line principles.
17. Determined to leave his band “Dogstar” so that the relaxation of the group would not be held again by his celebrity or by his fast paced timetable. Which is extra than I can say for a several other jackass actors/wannabe rockers (ahem, Russell Crowe).
18. Managed to retain a straight facial area all the way by the abysmally crappy Sweet November. That can take expertise persons.
19. Has worked with the subsequent Academy Award successful actors: Al Pacino, Gene Hackman, Rachel Weisz, Charlize Theron, Jack Nicholson, Diane Keaton, Marisa Tomei, Morgan Freeman, Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson, Denzel Washington, Anthony Quinn, Kevin Kline, William Harm, and then dude who played Monthly bill in Invoice & Ted’s. I’m quite certain he is won a few Oscars by now.
20. Is “The Just one”. Warrants mentioning.
21. Knows his acting limits and in accomplishing so, does not consider to overextend himself in roles he could not do which usually means not only that his motion pictures are better, but so is just about every movie he turns down. He is building films he’s NOT in improved, another person give it up for this guy.
22. Does not personal a personal computer. So you know what that means… is not a MySpace whore.
23. In his critique for Pace, Roger Ebert had this to say about Keanu: “Keanu Reeves has hardly ever had a job like this in advance of. In simple fact, in his prior movie, he played the mystical Prince Siddhartha, and typically he tends toward dreamy, sensitive figures. Which is why it can be form of wonderful to see him so neat and centered right here, a totally convincing motion hero who is as centered and resourceful as a Clint Eastwood or Harrison Ford in equivalent cases.”
24. Has designed films in every single style.
25. He played Buddha. No, I am serious, “the” Buddha. Amongst participating in the freaking Buddha and participating in a stoner in Bill & Ted’s, why do people today assume he has no range?
26. Back in the 80’s, he taught stoners of the earth a little something about historical past (and introduced Napoleon to Waterlube). Also, I would be remiss if I did not insert that he is entirely non, non non, non non, non, non heinous.
27. And irrespective of getting considered as a “stoner”, has in no way been pigeonholed on display. In his a variety of movie roles, he has performed: an FBI agent, a cop, a serial killer, a law firm, a medical doctor, a dentist, the A single, a Quarterback, a musician, an advertisement exec, a nuclear physicist (hello there!), a redneck, a soldier, the freakin’ Buddha, a homosexual hustler, and a Pet dog Boy.
28. He appreciates kung fu. So, you know, really don’t screw with him.
29. When Keanu decides to do a sequel: Bill & Ted’s Bogus Journey. When Keanu decides not to do a sequel: Velocity 2. Can this man select winners, or what?
30. Is none of the following: a Scientologist (Tom Cruise), a john (Hugh Grant), a drug addict (Robert Downey Jr.), a cheat (Jude Legislation), a mobile phone-thrower (Russell Crowe), really hard to perform with (Val Kilmer) or a indicate bastard (Sean Penn)
31. Apart from his evident acting abilities, Keanu also: surfs, rides bikes, was a excellent adequate hockey goalie to make the nickname “The Wall”, performs Shakespeare, reads philosophy, performs guitar in a slew of rock bands, ballroom dances, horseback rides, and “knows” kung fu. Is there everything he can’t do?
32. His name is really pronounced “kay-ah-nu”, not “crucial-ah-nu”, and yet never ever tends to make a fuss out of it (ahem, DEMI!).
33. Has romanced on-monitor: Charlize Theron (2 times), Sandra Bullock (two times), Monica Bellucci (two times), Rachel Weisz (2 times), Carrie-Anne Moss (thrice), Diane Lane, Connie Nielson, Dina Meyer and Uma Thurman. This does not automatically confirm his specific stage of suckage, but it does confirm that sizzling actresses want to bang him on-display screen, which is an important high quality in modern motion picture stars. For instance, no person needs to nail Adam Sandler, and he’s not practically as fantastic an actor as Keanu, even if you rely Punch-Drunk Really like two times.
34. Was in the Pilot episode of the wonderful quick-lived Jay Mohr show, Motion. And considering that that present ruled all, he in transform, receives a percentage of the ruling. Let’s say 17%.
35. To his everlasting credit, never ever created a cameo appearance on Will & Grace, which tends to make him only just one of five film stars in the entire world under no circumstances to have carried out so.
36. Was the host for a documentary demonstrate referred to as “Little ones Keep in mind the Holocaust.” He supports the faith, I aid him.
37. Has a college or university class centered around his movies. “The Movies of Keanu Reeves” at the Art Centre College of Layout in Pasadena, CA. Title another supposedly “sucky” actor that has a school class named just after him? That is correct, you can not, for the reason that Keanu’s the only a single. Because he kicks ass AND educates the youth of tomorrow.
38. Turned down the Val Kilmer part in Heat to do a creation of Hamlet in Canada. If I haven’t mentioned it prior to, let me say it now, the man is devoted to his craft. He works on it, he attempts new items. He retains doing work. Even if you imagine he’s not receiving better, at the very least he’s making an attempt. How many film stars preserve pushing by themselves soon after they strike it major? How a lot of just coast alongside on generic roles and unspectacular performances? Keanu pushes himself. Screw all to his limits, he pushes himself and I respect him for it.
39. British theater critic Roger Lewis of the Sunday Instances in London (who appreciates a little something about Shakespeare, right after all he is British) had this to say about Keanu’s Winnipeg-based effectiveness of The Prince of Denmark in Hamlet: “He really embodied the innocence, the splendid fury, the animal grace of the leaps and bounds, the psychological violence, that variety the Prince of Denmark. He is 1 of the best three Hamlets I have observed, for a basic purpose: he ‘is’ Hamlet.”
40. Brought unto the earth the phrase “Bogus, dude”, for which we are all eternally grateful.
Now inform me, following reading through this piece, do you however believe he sucks?
I did not feel so.